Friction Braking Systems
This report is a description and evaluation of the development and testing of rapid transit friction brake systems, in conjunction with the SFBARTD Diablo Test Track demonstration program.
Seven brake systems, representing various control and and force application designs were chosen for installation on the test vehicles:
- Pneumatic Tread. A conventional system using composition shoes, pneumatic actuation, and electro-pneumatic control.
- Electrical Tread. A system using spring actuation and torque motor release.
- Electro-Pneumatic Tread. A system using electronic control on a per truck basis.
- Pneumatic Disc. A system using one disc and caliper unit per axle.
- Electric Disc. An electro-magnetically actuated, multiple disc system.
- Hydraulic Disc. A hydraulic-actuated caliper disc brake, using one unit per axle, aircraft design, and electronic control.
- Hydraulic Tread. A conventional omposition-material tread unit with hydraulic cylinder actuation.
Each system was tested and evaluated with respect to its control, accuracy, linearirty, efficiency, and expected life, in addition to its general performance characteristics.
Request scanning of this report